We know that budgets are extremely tight for everyone at the moment, but cost concerns should not stop you from holding a HMD activity in your community. When the economic climate is difficult it’s more important than ever to ensure we bring our neighbourhood together to celebrate shared goals for a safer future. Many HMD activity organisers have delivered innovative and meaningful events on little or no budget.
- join with a school or faith group in your community. Not only will this promote collaborative working and innovative ideas, but pooling resources and contributions can significantly reduce costs
- work with your local drama or arts centres – many will already be equipped with PA systems and rehearsal area and may be happy to provide venues or equipment free of charge
- make sure your local authority knows about your event. They may be planning to hold an event too and have ideas for ways in which you can partner with them. If they’re not yet involved, encourage them to be a part of your event and mark HMD in future.
- encourage your local media outlets to work with you on your steering or planning group. This will assist you in publicising your event
- carry out other marketing and publicity online. Set up a facebook group, tell your networks through twitter and send emails to your invitees
- speak to local businesses about sponsorship or assistance in running your event
your next steps
- find content about the purpose of HMD for your funding applications
- take inspiration from previous HMD activities
- find out about the free workshops we run for activity organisers